How Much Sleep Feels Good for YOU?
I Challenge you – add an hour each night for this week!
With most of us getting less than 8 hours each night, and more than half of us getting less than 6 hours, it came across that many people, especially parents and business owners, see sleep as a luxury?
It’s a necessity – for overall good health, energy, anti-ageing, stress & resilience, immunity, inflammation, weight & blood sugar management, hormonal & emotional balance, brain & mood health, cardiovascular protection, detoxification, healing, etc…..
So, for this week, I challenge you - set up your days / evenings to get into bed an hour earlier (as most of us aren’t able to get that extra hour in the morning – then check in with how you feel after a few days of the change;)
For those of you who struggle to get to sleep or stay asleep, here are a few tips;
- Stick to a Sleep Schedule – even on weekends if you can, try to go to bed within a 15minute window of when you do during the week
- Pay attention to what you Eat & Drink – ie no caffeine after 2pm (it can affect your sleep for up to 8hrs afterwards), and have dinner at least 2-3hrs before hitting the sack so it has time to digest
- Create a Bedtime Ritual – turn off screens at least an hour before sleep, add the FLUX app to take the blue light out of your devices an hour before bed, have a bath (with epsom salts to relax your body), read a book, write a list for the next day to stop things running around in your head while you’re trying to fall asleep
- Get Comfortable – make sure your room is cool, dark, quiet, use ear plugs or and eye mask if that helps, and sleep naked to help regulate body temperature
- Limit Daytime Naps to 10-30mins (power nap timing), unless it’s the weekend and you’re wiped out and need a little extra ‘make up’ sleep in the early afternoon
- Include physical activity every day – tire out your body, not just your mind, and include something fun that makes you laugh to release stress
- Stress Management – how do you manage your stress? How do you relax, switch off? If wine is your only outlet, time to start looking for a new one;)
- Belly breathing for 5-10mins before bed with a hand on your belly and one on your heart – breathe to push up the hand on your belly, with long slow exhalations. Viparita Karani (yes, here comes the yoga teacher) for 5-15mins before getting into bed with belly breathing has great benefits (see image below)
Give it a go, you might just like it;)
Remember, sometimes getting healthy can actually be about slowing down, letting go of the stress & living life one breath, one movement and one moment at a time.
Is sleep a priority in your life?