Arteries Clogging Up? High Cholesterol? A Few Pantry Staples to Help your Heart
Recently, I’ve had an increase in clients with high cholesterol, especially the scary one – LDLs – and earlier (or even advanced) signs of cardiovascular disease. Unfortunately, left unattended, ignored, blind-sided, or taking a ‘head in the sand’ approach, can lead to serious, long-term, health consequences that will increase your risk of NOT making it, long term…
Given that I’m pretty sure most of you are not hoping to ‘expire’ any time soon, I thought I’d share a list of some foods that are likely to be in your pantry which have been backed by extensive, scientific research to prevent, and in some cases, reverse the #1 cause of death in the modern world?
Atherosclerosis (the progressive clogging of the arteries) is the #1 killer on the planet. A complex process, involving autoimmunity, infection, dietary conflicts, and many known and unknown factors, it is – despite conventional medical opinion – entirely preventable, and in some cases reversible.
Without bucket loads of detail, here are the foods & nutrients backed by peer-reviewed, published research proving the fact:
- B Vitamins – yes, something as simple as adding a high quality source of B-complex to your health plan can prevent the juggernaut of heart disease from taking your life prematurely.
- Garlic (Aged is BEST) – this little beauty can save your LIFE! It has been found to regress plaque buildup in the arteries, among many other potentially life-saving health benefits, particularly around immune system and heart health.
- Pomegranate – about 1 cup a day of this super healing fruit has been found to regress plaque buildup in the arteries, as well as being demonstrated to provide dozens of other health benefits.
- Fermented Cabbage – Kimchi, a Korean recipe, which includes fermented cabbage, hot pepper, and various other ingredients, including fermented fish, appears to stall the atherosclerotic process. Also, strains of good bacteria in kimchi have been found capable of aiding the removal of toxins from the gut, similar to other ferments such as sauerkraut, & kefir – aim for 1/4cup per day
- L-Arginine: This amino acid is capable of preventing arterial thickening. There are over 30 studies demonstrating multiple (up to 150) benefits of arginine supplementation, as well as it being capable of addressing the underlying dysfunction associated with cardiovascular disease: endothelial dysfunction (in case you’re still dubious, there are 20 studies to support this). Raw nuts and dark chocolate (70% cocoa / cacao or higher) are the best forms outside of meat.
- Turmeric (the active constituent is Curcumin): this primary polyphenol in the Indian spice rack, has been found to be an excellent cardioprotective, and anti-inflammatory nutrient with more studies being released every week as to its systemic health benefits – seriously, if you were going to choose one thing aside of Magnesium and Co-enzyme Q10, this should be IT!
- Sesame Seed: probably one of the most underappreciated super foods on the planet! Sesame seeds may be an excellent cardioprotective substance, ideally suited for preventing the progression of atherosclerosis. One animal study found it was capable of preventing atherosclerosis lesion/plaque formation – which is HUGE! As tahini, in the unhulled form, it is also an amazing source of calcium for bones, teeth and all connective tissue, as well as heart health.
This is just a small sample of evidence-based natural interventions for cardiovascular disease prevention and/or regression. There are a huge number of studies on over 200 natural substances capable of reducing the risk of heart attack and related heart disease related conditions.
Remember, heart disease is not a natural process that we have or need to accept as inevitable, based on family history or genetic risk. Our daily choices, especially regarding what we choose to eat or not eat, are the first and most important step.
We can use food as medicine. Statin Drugs are NOT inevitable – and the best cardiologists now agree.
Take back control of your health with nutrition. Realize the foods we choose, and the lifestyle we create & live are the only medicine that will nuture, nourish, and heal our bodies in a way that will allow lasting, vibrant, BOUNCE, for Life!
If your heart matters to you, start adding some of the foods and nutrients into your regular food plans this week!